Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Titchy Tackiness

Spotted at the local Lutheran Church of the Lighted Sign:

TOO SMALL TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE? SPEND A NIGHT WITH A MOSQUITO!

How cute... but depressing. It's not just that there isn't anything specifically Christian about this message... It's that I've seen the same slogan tied to a picture of the Dalai Lama. Amen, I guess! I mean, who am I to question the rightness of saving up an opportunity to dazzle passersby with a bumper-sticker-sized Christian message, only to spend it on the wisdom of a Tibetan Buddhist? My protest wouldn't change anything, except people would be irritated by the buzzing sound in their ears... and maybe slap at me to make it stop...

By the way, I have seen similar slogans attributed to others, including Bette Reese. Maybe the Dalai Lama didn't even say this. With the internet these days, who knows?

No comments: