Friday, May 7, 2010

Inclusive Tackiness

Now displayed at the neighborhood Lutheran Church of the Tacky Reader-Board:

BUILDING A PLACE WHERE ALL ARE WELCOME

It goes on, in print so tiny you have to be Lutheran to see it:

...EVEN IF WE HAVE TO BURN THIS PLACE DOWN TO DO IT!

It's always a sad day when a church's leaders decide that they are willing to offend the faithful in order to curry favor with unbelievers. Do you think this is an unfair characterization of "seeker friendly" ministries? You should listen to these folks strategize. I've heard an LCMS pastor say these exact words: "I would gladly offend 100 loyal Lutherans rather than scare one unchurched person away...."

The problem is, when you've made the church a comfortable place for non-believers to go, how can it be a community of faith?

6 comments:

Emrys said...

LOl are you Lutheran then? I am.

RobbieFish said...

I am indeed. Though sometimes admitting that feels like being caught wearing one blue sock and one black.

Emrys said...

Where do you go to church? I'm in the St. Louis area too.

RobbieFish said...

Epiphany, LCMS, south city, at the SW corner of Carondelet Park, on Leona & Holly Hills. You?

Emrys said...

Bear with me, this is quite complicated: I'm a member of Zion Lutheran in St. Charles, and I work at Peace Lutheran in O'Fallon (Winghaven) and also Chapel of the Cross Lutheran in St. Peters. They're all LCMS.

So.. Epiphany. That seems vaguely familiar - I might have met an oboe teacher there once... but not certain of that.

RobbieFish said...

I'm not aware of any oboe teachers in the congregation, but it might have been a while ago. Epiphany is a pretty small congregation anymore. I've been to Chapel of the Cross, I know people who go there. Actually I've had lunch with the pastors. I work in St. Charles County but I live in the city, so that's where I go to church.

It's a small world, etc....