Thursday, February 4, 2010

Parable of the Physician

To what shall I compare this generation? It is like unto a patient whose doctor prescribed a certain drug.

"But I have heard Formula Z works wonders for my condition," the patient protested.

"That's just hype," said the physician. "Reliable studies show that Formula Z does little if any good, and can even be harmful. Drug B is the only safe and effective treatment."

The patient's fury was unexpected. "Are you saying my Aunt Gertrude is trying to kill me?"

"Why, no. I -- "

"Or maybe she's just a loony who wants to poison herself!"

"I simply want you to be aware..."

"Oh, stuff it, Doc. I've had it with your judgmentalism. If Aunt Gertrude were here, she would be very offended. If you don't back off, I'll be talking to your partners. I'm sure they wouldn't want someone in their practice driving patients away like this."

Before the doctor knew what had happened, the patient darted out of the office and slammed the door. Let him hear who has ears to hear.

No comments: