Thursday, July 17, 2008

Architectural Tackiness

Has anyone noticed that "Destiny Church" in Town and Country, Missouri, within sight of I-270, looks like the gom jabbar?

This is church architecture at its most transporting. It transports me into a fit of laughter at least once a week. I haven't seen a church structure that so tickled the irreverent side of my imagination since the RLDS "orange juicer" in Independence, MO.

I know it's not nice of me to pick on the appearance of some people's church. On the other hand, when you think about the name "Destiny Church," it does sound rather like a commercial brand than a faith community. And as for the RLDS temple, it represents (A) a sect splintered off of (B) the most {la, la, la} in history, and (C) it's built across the street from - mind you, not on - the spot prophesied by {hum de dum}. So for those very pertinent reasons, I believe I can safely be impertinent; and if anyone is upset by it, {raspberry}.

No comments: